[Users] Fedora Core 6 ready to use template?

Peter Hackl peter at einfachtoll.com
Fri Apr 13 12:14:42 EDT 2007

> On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 12:39 +0400, Vasily Tarasov wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> There is no precreated template cache for FC6 at the moment at
>> openvz.org. Probably somebody from OpenVZ users has created it, but I
>> haven't heard about it.
>
>> I guess, you can install FC5 precreated template cache, create a VE
>> based on this template, then upgrade VE up to FC6 from inside VE using
>> usual means (up2date, yum). After that clean VE from needless
>> information (network settings, users, ...) and create a tar.gz archive
>> of VE - it'll be a template cache for FC6.
>
> 	I was able to replicate the vz/template/fedora/5 directory over to
> vz/template/fedora/6 and then modify the .../i386/conf/yum.conf file
> appropriately (just change all the instances of 5 to 6).  I was then
> able to use vzcachepkg to create and manage the templates.  I've got
> several VE's running based on that template now.  It would be nice if
> someone could package this up and add it to the template repositories.
> This one is not to terribly hard to create.
>
> 	OTOH...  I've just been working with CentOS 5.  It's a friggen
> nightmare.  There's a "conflicts with kernel < 2.6.12" built into the
> initscripts rpm that's hosing everything and I've been totally unable to
> build a centos-5 template.  Even adding the kernel package to the
> package lists doesn't help (is it excluded somewhere, somehow).
>
> 	Even updating from CentOS 4 to CentOS 5 isn't working.  The conflict
> exists if it doesn't find a kernel package it likes (in this case it
> doesn't even exist).  You can install the kernel package (which can be
> removed later, if you care) and then vzyum will update a bunch of
> packages, including initscripts, and update even more when you run a
> final vzyum update after the vzyum install.  But the resulting VE in non
> functional.  Trying to enter the running VE, I get a "Unable to open
> pty: No such file or directory".  No joy either way.

i tried yesterday the same and got centos5 ve under centos5 running.
what i did:
1) fetched precreated centos-4-i386-default.tar.gz and installed
2) updated ve to centos 4.4 (yum update)
3) cleaned yum cache, fetched from centos5:
  -> centos-release-5-0.0.el5.centos.2.i386.rpm
  -> centos-release-notes-5.0.0-2.i386.rpm
installed them (see upgrading centos4 to centos5 on wiki.centos.org)
4) tried yum upgrade, which failed because of konflikt of httpd and
initscripts
5) fetched initscripts from centos5
  -> initscripts-8.45.14.EL-1.el5.centos.1.i386.rpm
and updated them rpm -Fvh --force
initscripts-8.45.14.EL-1.el5.centos.1.i386.rpm
force is needed becaus of complaining wrong kernel
6) yum upgrade

vzctl stop & start,
vzctl enter failed with complaining about missing devices (centos5 is
using udev !)
vzctl stop and edited /etc/rc.sysinit, commented out start_udev and copied
missing
devices from a default centos4 ve.

i haven't checked if everything else is ok, but primary goal was getting
centos 6 with apache, php and mysql vor webserver running.

i will test the ve over the weekend and will report again.

peter