[Users] Fedora Core 6 ready to use template?

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Fri Apr 13 10:02:36 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 12:39 +0400, Vasily Tarasov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> There is no precreated template cache for FC6 at the moment at
> openvz.org. Probably somebody from OpenVZ users has created it, but I
> haven't heard about it.

> I guess, you can install FC5 precreated template cache, create a VE
> based on this template, then upgrade VE up to FC6 from inside VE using
> usual means (up2date, yum). After that clean VE from needless
> information (network settings, users, ...) and create a tar.gz archive
> of VE - it'll be a template cache for FC6.

	I was able to replicate the vz/template/fedora/5 directory over to
vz/template/fedora/6 and then modify the .../i386/conf/yum.conf file
appropriately (just change all the instances of 5 to 6).  I was then
able to use vzcachepkg to create and manage the templates.  I've got
several VE's running based on that template now.  It would be nice if
someone could package this up and add it to the template repositories.
This one is not to terribly hard to create.

	OTOH...  I've just been working with CentOS 5.  It's a friggen
nightmare.  There's a "conflicts with kernel < 2.6.12" built into the
initscripts rpm that's hosing everything and I've been totally unable to
build a centos-5 template.  Even adding the kernel package to the
package lists doesn't help (is it excluded somewhere, somehow).

	Even updating from CentOS 4 to CentOS 5 isn't working.  The conflict
exists if it doesn't find a kernel package it likes (in this case it
doesn't even exist).  You can install the kernel package (which can be
removed later, if you care) and then vzyum will update a bunch of
packages, including initscripts, and update even more when you run a
final vzyum update after the vzyum install.  But the resulting VE in non
functional.  Trying to enter the running VE, I get a "Unable to open
pty: No such file or directory".  No joy either way.

	Really strange, since they've got an RHEL 5 kernel on the OpenVZ site.
No templates for VE's, though.  If CentOS 5 won't build into a template,
I would guess RHEL 5 is going to be the same trouble.

	CentOS 5 was just released yesterday and the OpenVZ team doesn't even
have an FC6 template in the repositories yet, so I'm not holding my
breath.

> HTH,
> Vasily

	Mike