[Users] Quotas / Disk Space

Dmitry Mishin dim at openvz.org
Tue Nov 7 03:35:06 EST 2006

Hi, Douglas!

Answers are inline.

On Friday 03 November 2006 23:19, Douglas Phillips wrote:
> First of all, this is my first post to the list.  I've tried to do
> some research and investigation on this, but at this point have not
> found anything useful.
>
> Here's the scenario:
> Customer using OpenVZ, RHEL 4 Update 3, Kernel 2.6.9-023stab016.2-smp
I advice to upgrade to newer 2.6.9 kernel - it is much more stable, than this.

> They tell me that they have 200G of space on the drive, and there is
> one partition that is not mounted, but when I try to mount comes up
> with "/dev/hda6 already mounted or /mnt/test busy".
>
> I'm assuming that VZ is using that partition in a raw format,
> although I have no specific information that I've found that confirms
> that.  Am I correct?
No, OpenVZ doesn't use raw partitions.

> Mount points on the host machine are as follows:
> [root@(machine) ~]# df -h
> /dev/hda3              20G  9.1G  9.7G  49% /
> /dev/hda1              99M   45M   50M  48% /boot
> none                 1008M     0 1008M   0% /dev/shm
> /dev/hda2              20G   13G  5.8G  70% /var
> /dev/mapper/vps-swap   20G   18G  1.7G  92% /srv/vservers/swap
This is probably an answer - /dev/hda6 is used as a part of LVM group.

> [root@(machine) ~]# mount
> /dev/hda3 on / type ext3 (rw)
> none on /proc type proc (rw)
> none on /sys type sysfs (rw)
> none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
> /dev/hda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
> none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
> /dev/hda2 on /var type ext3 (rw)
> /dev/mapper/vps-swap on /srv/vservers/swap type ext3 (rw)
> [root@(machine) ~]#
>
> The problem is as follows:
> There are 6 VEs currently running on the system, 4 with quotas set at
> 11GB, 1 at 5GB, and the one in question which was at 5GB, but which I
> upped to 20GB.  When I "rebooted" this VPS, #102, and I go back, the
> quota stat shows quota back at 5GB.
Probably, you uppped quota without --save flag. You could check this by `grep
DISKSPACE /etc/vz/conf/102.conf` command.

> The internal df output shows the following:
> bash-3.00# df -h
> simfs                 3.4G  699M  1.7G  30% /
> tmpfs                1008M     0 1008M   0% /dev/shm
> tmpfs                1008M     0 1008M   0% /dev/shm
> bash-3.00#
>
> The desired result is that the filesystem would have 20GB available
> to it.  Obviously that's not happening.  Since I am not familiar with
> OpenVZ, I'd like to get some suggestions from the community on where
> I should look to resolve the issue.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> --
> Douglas G. Phillips