[Users] Quotas / Disk Space

Douglas Phillips doug at sbscomp.net
Fri Nov 3 15:19:49 EST 2006

First of all, this is my first post to the list.  I've tried to do
some research and investigation on this, but at this point have not
found anything useful.

Here's the scenario:
Customer using OpenVZ, RHEL 4 Update 3, Kernel 2.6.9-023stab016.2-smp
They tell me that they have 200G of space on the drive, and there is
one partition that is not mounted, but when I try to mount comes up
with "/dev/hda6 already mounted or /mnt/test busy".

I'm assuming that VZ is using that partition in a raw format,
although I have no specific information that I've found that confirms
that.  Am I correct?

Mount points on the host machine are as follows:
[root@(machine) ~]# df -h
/dev/hda3              20G  9.1G  9.7G  49% /
/dev/hda1              99M   45M   50M  48% /boot
none                 1008M     0 1008M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/hda2              20G   13G  5.8G  70% /var
/dev/mapper/vps-swap   20G   18G  1.7G  92% /srv/vservers/swap
[root@(machine) ~]# mount
/dev/hda3 on / type ext3 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
/dev/hda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/hda2 on /var type ext3 (rw)
/dev/mapper/vps-swap on /srv/vservers/swap type ext3 (rw)
[root@(machine) ~]#

The problem is as follows:
There are 6 VEs currently running on the system, 4 with quotas set at
11GB, 1 at 5GB, and the one in question which was at 5GB, but which I
upped to 20GB.  When I "rebooted" this VPS, #102, and I go back, the
quota stat shows quota back at 5GB.

The internal df output shows the following:
bash-3.00# df -h
simfs                 3.4G  699M  1.7G  30% /
tmpfs                1008M     0 1008M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs                1008M     0 1008M   0% /dev/shm
bash-3.00#

The desired result is that the filesystem would have 20GB available
to it.  Obviously that's not happening.  Since I am not familiar with
OpenVZ, I'd like to get some suggestions from the community on where
I should look to resolve the issue.

Thanks in advance,

--
Douglas G. Phillips