[Users] how to make an exact copy of the VPS

Kir Kolyshkin kir at openvz.org
Sun May 14 17:35:10 EDT 2006

abhishek jain wrote:

> Dear Friends,
> I need to
> 1)Install openVZ will i get a Control panel for mine clients
> 2) make an exact copy of the VPS from old to new IPs. Tell me how to
> do so.

Oh I now read the subject and know what you want to do.

Say there is a VE with ID 100, and you want to make a clone of it; a new
VE will have ID 200. Here is how:

# Stop source VE
vzctl stop 100
# Copy VE private area:
cd /vz/private/
mkdir 200
cp -a 100/* 200/
# Copy VE config file
cd /etc/sysconfig/vz-scripts/
cp 100.conf 200.conf
# Change VE 200 IP address: remove old ones than add some new ones
vzctl set 200 --ipdel all --ipadd x.x.x.x --save
# Start original VE and the clone
vzctl start 100
vzctl start 200

One can write a simple shell script for that if you want to do it
regularly. As you can see, this is just a few copy and vzctl set operations.