[Users] how to make an exact copy of the VPS

Kir Kolyshkin kir at openvz.org
Sun May 14 17:28:52 EDT 2006

abhishek jain wrote:

> Dear Friends,
> I need to
> 1)Install openVZ will i get a Control panel for mine clients

OpenVZ does not provide any web interfaces. Of course you can use, say,
Webmin or something like this.

Or, if you want all the features of OpenVZ plus control panels plus much
more -- you can buy Virtuozzo.

> 2) make an exact copy of the VPS from old to new IPs. Tell me how to
> do so.

I am not sure what you mean by "from old to new IPs". Do you want to
change the IP address(es) of the VPS? Do you want to clone a VPS, and
give a different IP to the clone?

> 3)Also can anyone point me to articles relating with the difference
> between OpenVZ and Xen based VPS.

In very short: http://openvz.org/documentation/tech/virtualization

In very short: the difference is Xen runs *multiple* kernels on top of
the hypervisor, while OpenVZ enables multiple Virtual Environments (VEs,
otherwise known as VPSs) on top of the *single* kernel. Single kernel
approach gives close-to-native performance and much better density
(number of VEs per server), also there are other benefits like higher
scalability (VE is as scalable as ordinary Linux) and the fact that you
can change/"resize" a VE dynamically -- say, you can give it more or
less RAM without any need to reboot.

 From the other side, Xen makes possible to run *different* kernels, so
it's the way to go if you want different OSs on your server.

> , I need to know which is best, in terms of which can be installed
> easily,control panel for the client and ease to use/operate and system
> resources etc.

As I am very subjective here you can't rely on my words for it. :)
Some people say OpenVZ is easier to install and use (say here:
http://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=rview&goto=3119#msg_3119).

Sorry I do not know much about control panels.