[Users] Dns resolution failure..

Roman Kagan rkagan at sw.ru
Wed Jun 14 05:16:12 EDT 2006

On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 11:14:05AM -0700, Aaron Stewart wrote:
> What's bugging me (and I can't wrap my brain around it) is that we can ping the outside world, wget to IP addresses, and ssh into external hosts.  The only thing that seems to be
> failing is DNS at the application level.. Again, nslookup and host both work without issue.

Check that you have 'dns' among the services for 'hosts' map in
/etc/nsswitch.conf, e.g.

# grep hosts /etc/nsswitch.conf
hosts:		files dns

The point is that 'nslookup' and 'host' do DNS lookups (only) while the
applications use (through standard libc functions) whatever is
configured for NSS (Name Service Switch).

Roman.