[Users] Dns resolution failure..

Aaron Stewart aaron at firebright.com
Mon Jun 12 19:49:14 EDT 2006

Hey all,

We're seeing a problem where within one particular VE on a host we can
nslookup or "host" a hostname and everything works.

But when we try running yum update or wget (even to www.google.com)  we
get "Temporary failure in  name resolution."

We've dug around on the lists and tried solutions posted there with no
luck (w.r.t setting forwarding on the main system, etc).

We're also seeing the following in the logs (not sure if it's a
red-herring or not):

Jun 12 15:48:19 FOO sysctl: net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0
Jun 12 15:48:19 FOO sysctl: error: unknown error 1 setting key
'net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter'
Jun 12 15:48:19 FOO sysctl: error: unknown error 1 setting key
'net.ipv4.conf.default.accept_source_route'
Jun 12 15:48:19 FOO sysctl: error: unknown error 1 setting key
'kernel.sysrq'
Jun 12 15:48:19 FOO sysctl: error: unknown error 1 setting key
'kernel.core_uses_pid'

I should mention that all other VE's running on the host work without a
problem.

Any ideas?