[Users] Ubuntu Template /dev Problems

Greg Felter thatis at absolutelycrap.com
Fri Jan 6 13:23:55 EST 2006

I am creating an Ubuntu 5.04 template for OpenVZ and have run into a problem.
There are no /dev/pty, /dev/random, and /dev/urandom devices in /dev. I have
created these devices by the following:

cd /vz/root/111/dev; /vz/root/111/sbin/MAKEDEV pty

This creates the devices just fine. When I reboot Ubuntu the devices are not
there and need to be created all over again. When I created templates for
other linux distros I have had to create /dev/pty but they are there on reboot.

drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Jan 1 14:18 dev

How do I solve this problem on Ubuntu? Thanks

*Also posted to ubuntu.com support forum