[Users] openvz and SuSE

Daniel Bauer mlist at dsb-gmbh.de
Thu Feb 2 11:27:16 EST 2006

From: "Kir Kolyshkin" <kir at openvz.org>
> Daniel Bauer wrote:
>> From: "Kir Kolyshkin" <kir at openvz.org>

>>> OK. I remember that somebody created some SuSE templates, search in
>>> forum.openvz.org.
>>

>> I've found this message:
>> http://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=msg&th=190&start=0&
>>
>> and his site
>> http://web150.dd01.profihoster.net/
>>
>> but there is only a template for SuSE 9.3 64bit server-image for
>> openVZ (155 MB)
>
> Ask the author about x86 (i386) template as well :) if he will have
> enough requests he may consider doing it :)
>
>>> If you are brave enough you can try doing it all yourself. This is
>>> not very complicated -- basically you need to create a chrooted
>>> environment with all the needed stuff installed. All the needed
>>> stuff are libraries, startup scripts and init, some programs (like
>>> ssh) etc. Then you run this in a VPS.
>>

>> I think this is the best way, maybe I could use my existing real
>> machines or do I have to include something for VPS in the
>> configurations / patches / modification?
>
> Well, as a minimum you should
> (1) modify /etc/fstab so it will not try mounting your real hard disk
> partition(s)
> (2) remove getty from /etc/inittab
> (3) some suse versions requires to comment out one line in /sbin/rc
> (will tell you later which one)

ok, that sounds good, I'll have a try with SuSE.

I've started now with installing fedora-core 4 and updated the kernel as
mentioned, some prebuild VPS are still running. But how can I access now
some physical harddiscs? I need to mount /dev/sdd1 (my data partition).
How to enable the second eth interface?

> Everything else is optimizations. This can include:
>
> (4) quit using tmpfs for /dev
> (5) moving from udev to static /dev
> (6) remove extra entries from /dev to save disk space and inodes
> (7) remove kernel, grub, kernel module tools - those are not needed
> (in order for RPM to be happy, you might add a short dummy rpm which
> virtually 'Provides:' all this stuff)
> (8) modify initscripts to boot faster
> (9) ...and so on.
> But those are just optimizations -- they are not strictly required.
>
>> I found this kernel for my machine:
>> http://download.openvz.org/kernel/022stab064.1/ovzkernel-enterprise-2.6.8-022stab064.1.i686.rpm
>>
>> What about security fixes with this kernel?
>
> We have included a lot of security fixes in our kernel (all that are
> known to date) -- just read change logs.

so you update this kernel with actual patches and the OpenVZ Users could
install the new one everytime it's released?

Daniel