[Users] vzethdev MAC-addresses

Kirill Korotaev dev at sw.ru
Fri Aug 18 03:52:14 EDT 2006

> http://wiki.openvz.org/Virtual_Ethernet_device says:
>

>>        Note: Use random MAC addresses. Do not use MAC addresses of
>>        real eth devices, beacuse this can lead to collisions.
>

> Assigning totally random MAC-addresses for VEs doesn't sound like a good
> idea to me. XenSource has allocated MAC-address range 00:16:3E for use
> in Xen-domains and VMWare has ranges 00:05:69, 00:0c:29 and 00:50:56.
> XenSource's and VMWare's approach sounds better to me.
>
> Is the range 00:18:51 assigned to SWSoft meant for use in OpenVZ VEs or
> is there some other method for generating MAC-addresses for VEs?
this range is assigned to SWsoft and can be used for veth fo sure.
The problem is how to generate MAC address inside this range.
VMware takes some hash from VM path, which is not collision prone.
So there is no any ideal solution.

The best one would be to use single database (pool) from which
allocate MAC addresses. But it is not always easy to do in clusters.

Kirill