[Devel] Contribution to a new and official Web UI to OpenVZ

Konstantin Khorenko khorenko at virtuozzo.com
Tue May 14 12:52:18 MSK 2019

On 05/13/2019 12:58 AM, Paulo Coghi - Coghi IT wrote:
> Hello development community of OpenVZ. My name is Paulo Coghi, and it's an immense honor to talk to you.
>
> I saw on the wishlist (https://wiki.openvz.org/Wishlist) that a good web UI is needed and, today, I'm starting to develop a new Web UI for OpenVZ.
>
> I would like to know if you authorize me to present my candidate to you in a few weeks and, if approved, give it to the community,
 > not only making it open source, but also respecting and following all of your requirements along the development process.
>
> I am committed to fully develop the initial version along with its documentation, with refreshed and clean design standards,
 > fully covered and testable code (using automated tests), using Svelte (https://svelte.dev)
 > to compile all the Web UI code base in pure JavaScript and to facilitate the contributions of other front-end developers and designers,
> follow rigorous security standards in the backend code base, among other things.
>
> If its approved and the community leaders wish, you can transfer the entire code base to the OpenVZ organization on Github (https://github.com/OpenVZ/),
 > where all the community will be able to continuously work on it.
>
> It is my desire to build a very good relationship with all the community, because I also wish, very soon,
 > to propose a new website for OpenVZ with an easier way to create and
> maintain the documentation and wiki.
>
> Thanks a lot for your attention, and I look forward to your response!
>

> Paulo Coghi

Hi Paulo,

you are very welcome in the OpenVZ community and i bet many OpenVZ users will be grateful to you
for the convenient UI developing.

 From our side we can show you the UI for Virtuozzo version so you can check what how it's done,
take a look what functionality is implemented there, etc.
It may be useful to verify the existing solution while designing the new one.

https://docs.virtuozzo.com/virtuozzo_automator_7_administrators_guide/index.html
This is a UI for administrator.

https://docs.virtuozzo.com/virtuozzo_powerpanel_administrators_guide/index.html
This is for end-users (so, they can configure their own Containers and VMs only).

AFAIK, above UI work on Virtuozzo installations only, so you will need to set up trial
Virtuozzo nodes. If you have any difficulties with getting trial licenses for that, please let us know.

i don't currently know your plan (design), but probably if you wish to minimize the effort of writing
back-end, we can teach back-end of Virtuozzo Automator to be installed on OpenVZ nodes as well
(currently it will detect OpenVZ and fail the installation) and provide the back-end API,
so you can write only frond-end UI part.
i'm currently not 100% committing to that plan but it seem to be logical and if you like it
(after you check the internal Automator structure and the API), we can ask for permission to do that.

Good luck!

--
Best regards,

Konstantin Khorenko,