[Devel] CentOS Images and openvz

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Mon Feb 15 06:41:07 PST 2016

Greetings,

----- Original Message -----
> >> Most of the complaints stem around compromised instances, or bad yum
> >> repo definitions or non managed / non manageable content being
> >> included in the instance content etc. So it would be good to start with a
> >> solid instance (template ?) and try to promote that.
> >
> > The OpenVZ Project hasn't released any OS Templates with those
> > issues to the best of my knowledge.  If someone is claiming
> > otherwise, I'd love to hear about it.
>
> Is it possible to download and see these official templates offered ?

Here's direct URLs:

https://wiki.openvz.org/Download/template/precreated (HTML page)

https://download.openvz.org/template/precreated/ (directory index)

OS Templates for OpenVZ Legacy are simple .tar.gz or .tar.xz files that are accessible on pretty much any Linux host that can extract them.

For the Virtuozzo 7 EZ Templates, those don't really ship as pre-created files.  There is an rpm package for each distro that provides metadata (repo defs and package list, etc) and each OS Template is built on-demand (and cached on the user's host) by downloading the packages from the target distro and installing them in a chroot, and then making a ploop disk image out of the install tree and compressing it.  I can get you some that were recently assembled on one of my Virtuozzo 7 beta hosts... but without ploop, they'd be a challenge to mount and access on a non-Virtuozzo 7 Beta host.  If you are wondering what ploop is, see this wiki page about it:

https://wiki.openvz.org/Ploop

Ploop was made available a few years ago for OpenVZ Legacy and is the primary format in Virtuozzo 7 although Virtuozzo 7 also supports qcow2 I believe.  To the best of my knowledge, ploop was designed and implemented before qcow2 was feature complete.

Here are the rpm packages that define the current set of "EZ Templates" for Virtuozzo 7 beta:

https://download.openvz.org/virtuozzo/factory/x86_64/os/Packages/c/centos-5-x86-ez-7.0.0-2.vz7.noarch.rpm
https://download.openvz.org/virtuozzo/factory/x86_64/os/Packages/c/centos-6-x86_64-ez-7.0.0-1.vz7.noarch.rpm
https://download.openvz.org/virtuozzo/factory/x86_64/os/Packages/c/centos-7-x86_64-ez-7.0.0-6.vz7.noarch.rpm
https://download.openvz.org/virtuozzo/factory/x86_64/os/Packages/d/debian-8.0-x86_64-ez-7.0.0-4.vz7.noarch.rpm
https://download.openvz.org/virtuozzo/factory/x86_64/os/Packages/f/fedora-22-x86_64-ez-7.0.0-2.vz7.noarch.rpm
https://download.openvz.org/virtuozzo/factory/x86_64/os/Packages/u/ubuntu-14.04-x86_64-ez-7.0.0-3.vz7.noarch.rpm
https://download.openvz.org/virtuozzo/factory/x86_64/os/Packages/u/ubuntu-14.10-x86_64-ez-7.0.0-1.vz7.noarch.rpm
https://download.openvz.org/virtuozzo/factory/x86_64/os/Packages/u/ubuntu-15.04-x86_64-ez-7.0.0-1.vz7.noarch.rpm

Here's a CentOS 7 EZ Template for Virtuozzo 7 Beta that was built on one of my hosts.  I don't have any of others handy because I haven't created any other distro containers recently:

http://img.cs.montana.edu/linux/openvz-precreated-os-templates/V7/centos-7-x86_64.plain.ploopv2.tar.lz4

If you need anything else, just let me know and I'll see what I can do.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street