[Devel] Running Debian 8 Jessie as OpenVZ Hostnode?

Konstantin Khorenko khorenko at virtuozzo.com
Tue May 26 06:29:48 PDT 2015

On 05/23/2015 12:12 PM, Lope wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've not been successful trying to install OpenVZ on the current stable version of Debian 8 Jessie.
>

> I was able to boot the OpenVZ stab108 kernel on Debian 8 Jessie with SysVinit.
>
> However I could not start a container.
> First it gave an error about not finding a kernel module. So I modprobe'd it, and then it gave a different error. It said something about the kernel being really old and not supporting stuff (maybe it was ploop, can't remember). Strange message because it was running an OpenVZ kernel.
>
> For now I have to run OpenVZ on Debian OldStable 7.8 Wheezy, inside KVM.
>
> Details here, perhaps we can continue the discussion on the forum?
> http://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=msg&th=12907

Hi Lope,

well, as we are currently working hard on Virtuozzo 7 (which has RHEL7-based (3.10-x) kernel),
i do not think Debian 8 support on the Host for current OpenVZ based on RHEL6-x (2.6.32-x) kernel fits our focus,

but if you dig through all those issues of Debian 8 Host + 2.6.32-x OpenVZ kernel and send us appropriate patches,
we'll be happy to review and apply them.

P.S. one more time, it's important: the question above is about Debian 8 on the Host Node + OpenVZ on top -
we encourage anybody who really needs such a configuration (or just wants to investigate it just for fun)
to investigate, fix and send patches.

A Container with Debian 8 inside is a completely different story - this _must_ work.
If it does not - please file bugs, we will handle them.

P.P.S. if you doubt weather to start the investigation or not because of possible dead ends,
just start it, if you face a problem you don't understand, we can show the direction what to check/fix further.

Hope that helps.

--
Best regards,

Konstantin Khorenko,