[Devel] Questions about development kernels.

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Sep 22 06:53:14 PDT 2008

Hey all!

	A few questions about the development kernel branches.  My Fedora 8 and
Fedora 9 systems are all now at 2.6.26 kernels but the OpenVZ stuff is
stuck on 2.6.24-ovz005.1.

	* Is there any expectation of a release from the 2.6.26 branch any time
soon?

	* I see in the 2.6.26 git repository a tag for 2.6.27-ovz-fork.  Does
that mean that the 2.6.26 repository is actually 2.6.27 now or what?

	* How stable is the 2.6.26 branch?  Can a kernel be build with a
reasonable expectation to function (relative to the 2.6.24-ovz005.1
build which has been reasonable stable for me)?

	* My Fedora systems running 2.6.24-ovz005.1 kernels are complaining
about auditd.  I see these errors from sudo:

audit_log_user_command(): Connection refused

	That's because auditd is not running and will not start.  That's not
starting, I believe, because CONFIG_AUDIT is not enabled in the kernel
build.  Anyone know of any reason why this could not / should not be
enabled?  I'll file a bugzilla on it later but was wondering if this was
one of the things that hadn't been gotten around to yet.

	Mike