[Devel] Why use FAKEGATEWAY{,NET} instead of default dev venet0?

Peter Volkov pva at gentoo.org
Fri Sep 12 02:08:39 PDT 2008

Hello.

I have a question which puzzles me from the the very beginning I've
started to use OPENVZ. venet0 is peer-to-peer device. Why openvz scripts
set some $FAKEGATEWAYNET network on p2p device and then put nonexistent
$FAKEGATEWAY as a gateway there? Seems that it's much more simple and
clean way to setup networking is:

# route add default dev venet0
or
# ip route add default dev venet0

Are there any drawbacks of this solution? I'm going to modify
gentoo-{add,del}_ip.sh scripts but is it good idea?

I've already tried to search and asked this question on forums but still
got no answer there.

Please, give me any comments. Thank you in advance,
--
Peter.