[Devel] OLS paper topics

Serge E. Hallyn serue at us.ibm.com
Wed Jan 30 07:52:20 PST 2008

Quoting Balbir Singh (balbir at linux.vnet.ibm.com):

> >> Resource Management for containers?
> >
> > Yes we need that. There are a few possible conflicts in requirements
> > that need to be discussed. For example, a resource management req
> > would be to be able to move a process from one group to another and C/R
> > wouldn't.
>
> Cedric,
>
> Why is that a conflict w.r.t resource management, isn't that more of a cgroup
> feature - task migration.

Oh, no - I think Cedric was saying that tasks need to be moved from
container2 to container3 on the system for resourcemgmt - that is,
reclassified, not migrated.

But for task migration we have resources tied to containers and
processes are using those resources, so we can't migrate those tasks to
another container in that case.

That's probably solved at the cgroup->container bindings, no?  i.e.
ns_cgroup 2854 is my container and it's in a cpuset_cgroup tied to cpus
2 and 3, now i want to open it up to cpus 1-4, so i leave the tasks in
ns_cgroup 2854 but move it to another cpuset...