[Devel] OLS paper topics

Serge E. Hallyn serue at us.ibm.com
Wed Jan 30 07:48:01 PST 2008

Quoting Cedric Le Goater (clg at fr.ibm.com):

>> Why is that a conflict w.r.t resource management, isn't that more of a
>> cgroup
>> feature - task migration. We need task migration for resource management,
>> but
>> task migration is a system administrator/management function. I don't see
>> the
>> conflict, but may be I am missing something very obvious.
>
> This is something we may want to dig. from a checkpoint/restart POV, a
> 'container' acts a whole and you don't want tasks to be migrated from a
> container to another. They have to share the same container properties.
> it might be possible to solve that issue from user space or by making sure
> a set of cgroups are dedicated to a container.

This is certainly a good topic for the mini-summit.

The simple answer of course is you create a container for the virtual
server, then create containers within those around the applications you
want to checkpoint.  But depending on logistics (i.e. per-container
swapfiles) this could get complicated.

-serge