[Devel] Re: Kernel text size with pid namespace

Matt Mackall mpm at selenic.com
Fri Sep 21 08:15:55 PDT 2007

On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 10:03:59PM -0700, sukadev at us.ibm.com wrote:
> Matt Mackall [mpm at selenic.com] wrote:
> | On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 05:16:44PM -0700, sukadev at us.ibm.com wrote:
> | > Matt,
> | >
> | > The pid-namespace patcheset (http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/8/10/118)
> | > was added to the -mm tree in 2.6.23-rc3-mm1.
> | >
> | > With CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE=y this patchset increases the kernel
> | > text size by about 5K (closer to 6K when the config token is set to N).
> |
> | That's not too bad.
>
> Ok, thanks, I won't worry about for now :-)
>
> Just curious, is there a magic number like 8K or 32K increase in size (of
> unconditional code) that one should watch out for ?

All size increase is a step backward for folks who already have a
working kernel. There are today more than a million cellphones running
Linux where the number one priority is reducing footprint. PID
namespaces are quite low on their wishlist. So as long as the feature
is non-optional, you've got a fairly heavy burden to make it as small
as possible. Especially as this is just the first part of several
namespace pieces.