[Devel] Re: Kernel text size with pid namespace

Paul Jackson pj at sgi.com
Thu Sep 20 04:04:06 PDT 2007

> > functions are used in process creation/termination, we would need to
> > keep them inline, when optimizing for performance.
>
> I'd keep them inline for performance reasons.

As Matt Mackall explained more carefully in his reply, it's no longer
clear that inlining is best for performance in as many situations as
it was the past.  Cache footprint size tends to dominate performance on
present day processors.

See also Matt's comments on the NULL struct pid check.  Getting rid
of conditional jumps may be the more important performance issue here.

--
                  I won't rest till it's the best ...
                  Programmer, Linux Scalability