[Devel] Re: namespace and nsproxy syscalls

Serge E. Hallyn serue at us.ibm.com
Tue Sep 26 10:17:01 PDT 2006

Quoting Herbert Poetzl (herbert at 13thfloor.at):
> On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 07:56:49AM -0500, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> > Quoting Cedric Le Goater (clg at fr.ibm.com):
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > A while ago, we expressed the need to have a new syscall specific to
> > > namespaces. the clone and unshare are good candidates but we are reaching
> > > the limit of the clone flags and clone has been hijacked enough.
> > >
> > > So, I came up with unshare_ns. the patch for the core feature follows
> > > the email. Not much difference with unshare() for the moment but it gives
> > > us the freedom to diverge when new namespaces come in. I have faith also !
> > > If you feel it's useful, i'll send the full patchset for review on the list.
> > >
> > > I'd like to discuss of another syscall which would allow a process to
> > > bind to a set of namespaces ( == nsproxy == container) :
> > >
> > > 	bind_ns(ns_id_t id, int flags)
> >
> > What about just using a pid instead of introducing some ns_id_t?  I'm
> > guessing that any time you want to bind to some other nsproxy, it will
> > be the nsproxy of a decendent nsproxy, so even if it is in a new
> > pidspace, you will have a pid in your pidspace to reference it.
>
> what about lightweight containers where the process
> creating the namespace(s) goes away after starting
> a few scripts inside the guest?

So long as the scripts are running, those processes have a pid which
could be used.

But I guess your concern is how the sysadmin can know which pids to use,
since he might have only known the pid which started the container?

Dunno.  Good question.  Guess it might imply that either (a) we need
namespace id's after all, or (b) we need to keep init processes around
even for application conatiners.

> how to avoid having duplicate identifiers when there
> is a chance that the same pid will be used again
> to create a second namespace?

Well at least that's simple, the pid will no longer be a valid handle to
the first namespace ever since that process died  :)

-serge