[Devel] Re: namespace and nsproxy syscalls

Herbert Poetzl herbert at 13thfloor.at
Tue Sep 26 08:41:47 PDT 2006

On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 07:56:49AM -0500, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> Quoting Cedric Le Goater (clg at fr.ibm.com):
> > Hello all,
> >
> > A while ago, we expressed the need to have a new syscall specific to
> > namespaces. the clone and unshare are good candidates but we are reaching
> > the limit of the clone flags and clone has been hijacked enough.
> >
> > So, I came up with unshare_ns. the patch for the core feature follows
> > the email. Not much difference with unshare() for the moment but it gives
> > us the freedom to diverge when new namespaces come in. I have faith also !
> > If you feel it's useful, i'll send the full patchset for review on the list.
> >
> > I'd like to discuss of another syscall which would allow a process to
> > bind to a set of namespaces ( == nsproxy == container) :
> >
> > 	bind_ns(ns_id_t id, int flags)
>
> What about just using a pid instead of introducing some ns_id_t?  I'm
> guessing that any time you want to bind to some other nsproxy, it will
> be the nsproxy of a decendent nsproxy, so even if it is in a new
> pidspace, you will have a pid in your pidspace to reference it.

what about lightweight containers where the process
creating the namespace(s) goes away after starting
a few scripts inside the guest?

how to avoid having duplicate identifiers when there
is a chance that the same pid will be used again
to create a second namespace?

best,
Herbert

PS: rest of comments on the original mail, as most
of the contents was zapped :/