[Devel] communicating between host and VPS

Kirill Korotaev dev at sw.ru
Tue Oct 17 07:48:24 PDT 2006

Grzegorz,

>>AFAIK, it can be done via unix socket or FIFO,
>>since both are limited by the viewpoint of file system and
>>host always can see VE files.
>

> I want to clarify because I am also interested in something like this:
> will UNIX sockets or FIFOs work between VE and VE0 and between one VE and
> the other if and only if both sides see the node in the filesystem?
yes. However, from what I see in the code it looks like unix socket works
if VE does listen() and VE0 does connect() only.

> If so, is this design goal or something that works for now but could stop
> working some day?
unix socket is done so by design and won't be broken 100% as there are some
tools using this property.

for fifo - not that sure and didn't try that. however, if it works (it should!),
most likely won't be broken as well.

Thanks,
Kirill