[Devel] Packaging of kernel-patch-openvz for Debian

Kir Kolyshkin kir at openvz.org
Mon Apr 3 19:37:36 PDT 2006

Ola Lundqvist wrote:

>Hello
>
>I'm in the process of packaging kernel-patch-openvz for Debian
>and I have a few questions:
>
>* In the kernel patch that I downloaded from your download
>  section
>  http://download.openvz.org/beta/kernel/026test005.1/patches/
>  I see a lot of references to the following copyright statement.
>  Licensing governed by "linux/COPYING.SWsoft" file.
>  The problem is that no such file exist in the patch, nor in any
>  other place that I can find.

Whoops, looks like we missed that very file from the devel kernel
series. Kirill, can you please fix it ASAP?

The file is present in the stable (2.6.8) kernels though. It is
basically a GPL.

We put this very file and the reference to it as a result of discussion
on users@ list back in September 2005, in order to make it certain that
this is the GPL and nothing else. See the first thread at
http://openvz.org/pipermail/users/2005-September/thread.html.

>  In order for it to be included into Debian it need to be clear
>  that this is GPL software and right now it is not possible
>  to determine (more than looking on the webpage and that can be
>  changed later).

Hopefully we will release the next kernel with the forgotten file added.

>* Is there any other that have copyright on this?

AFAIK all the OpenVZ stuff is copyrighted by SWsoft. Kirill, plz correct
me if I'm wrong.