[Debian] Re: Possibility of getting openvz problem included in stable?

Ola Lundqvist ola at inguza.com
Tue Jun 21 01:29:47 EDT 2011

Hi Ben

First many thanks for your help. Much appriciated.

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 05:16:16AM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > I understand that this is the case before the release. However after
> > the release only security updates are there, unless there is a point
> > release to be planned. That is at least the case for all other
> > packages in Debian.
> [...]
>
> Not quite.
>
> People using a Debian stable release should have the following package
> sources:
> - stable (updated at point releases)
> - stable-security (updated at any time for security fixes)
> - stable-updates (updated at any time for other important fixes; this
>   is new for Debian 6.0 and replaces the volatile suite)

Thanks for the reminder about stable-updates, and also change of mind.
I got the impression that stable-updates was merely a volatile renamed,
but I see now that it can be used for other purposes as well as you describe
below.

> All upgrades in stable and stable-updates initially go into:
> - stable-proposed-updates
> from which some users and developers may install and test them.

Yes that is a point. I'm too focused on release, while this is a community
where pre-release versions may as well be important.

> We (the kernel team) generally merge updates in the 2.6.32.y series into
> our stable branch quickly, and may upload to stable-proposed-updates
> multiple times between point releases.  We can request that important
> fixes are released through stable-updates, though we haven't yet done
> so.

This is good to know.

> While we continue to maintain packaging using svn (this will change
> RSN :-), the source changes are also converted into the 'squeeze' branch
> of <git://anonscm.debian.org/kernel/linux-2.6.git>.  Beware that this
> branch is generated from a patch series and is effectively rebased.

Thanks for letting me know.

Best regards,

// Ola

> Ben.
>
> --
> Ben Hutchings
> When in doubt, use brute force. - Ken Thompson

/  ola at inguza.com                    Annebergsslingan 37        \
|  opal at debian.org                   654 65 KARLSTAD            |
|  http://inguza.com/                Mobile: +46 (0)70-332 1551 |
\  gpg/f.p.: 7090 A92B 18FE 7994 0C36 4FE4 18A1 B1CF 0FE5 3DD9  /