[Debian] Re: Possibility of getting openvz problem included in stable?

Ben Hutchings ben at decadent.org.uk
Tue Jun 21 00:16:16 EDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-06-20 at 16:52 +0200, Ola Lundqvist wrote:
> Hi Maks
>
> Quoting "maximilian attems" <max at stro.at>:
> > On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 03:00:57PM +0200, Ola Lundqvist wrote:
> >> Hi Maks and Kir
> >>
> >> Kir: Some updated statement from Maks.
> >>
> >> Maks: I think one reason for not updating is that the version in
> >> Debian stable is usually not updated. So it is hard to tell what
> >> revision the Debian kernel team is regarding stable updates.
> >>
> >> // Ola
> >
> > that is totally uncorrect.
>
> Well. See below.
>
> > we have pretty much allways synced with available openvz git.
> > (see 2.6.26 history and 2.6.32 history)
> > uploads are not immediate as we have a different schedule.
>
> I understand that this is the case before the release. However after
> the release only security updates are there, unless there is a point
> release to be planned. That is at least the case for all other
> packages in Debian.
[...]

Not quite.

People using a Debian stable release should have the following package
sources:
- stable (updated at point releases)
- stable-security (updated at any time for security fixes)
- stable-updates (updated at any time for other important fixes; this
  is new for Debian 6.0 and replaces the volatile suite)

All upgrades in stable and stable-updates initially go into:
- stable-proposed-updates
from which some users and developers may install and test them.

We (the kernel team) generally merge updates in the 2.6.32.y series into
our stable branch quickly, and may upload to stable-proposed-updates
multiple times between point releases.  We can request that important
fixes are released through stable-updates, though we haven't yet done
so.

While we continue to maintain packaging using svn (this will change
RSN :-), the source changes are also converted into the 'squeeze' branch
of <git://anonscm.debian.org/kernel/linux-2.6.git>.  Beware that this
branch is generated from a patch series and is effectively rebased.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
When in doubt, use brute force. - Ken Thompson