[CRIU] [GSoC] Anonymise image files

Nikhil Ramakrishnan ramakrishnan.nikhil at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 15:10:50 MSK 2019

Hi,

Thanks for the information! Some follow-up questions:

> When we ask for images we expect them in criu native format, not decoded json. Also, note,
> that this feature is not only in patching the contents of the image files. The 2nd important
> part of the task is teaching criu restore accept the anonymized images and restoring the
> process tree up to the "ready to resume" state.

How can the process be brought back to the "ready to resume" state if
data of memory contents, paths and registers have been shred. Will
this involve some kind of reconstruction?

> The exact command to do is not decided yet. I'd see it as 'crit anon -d directory/'

So this will ideally create an anonymised copy of all the '.img' files
(in another directory, maybe)?

Also, are all generated image files shared, or is it only a subset
that is required to debug?

> Yes, the full path should become "random", but (!) human readable. I.e. smth like /etc/my_app.conf is expected
> to be turned into /etc/file_1 rather than /ad324bcf098098a/f2934e123d123abd23 or alike :)

Your human-readable example retains the '/etc' part though :-)

> Welcome, Nikhil, glad to see you interested in criu! Since you're an experienced GSoC-er you know
> how the org part works and introduction in this area is not required.

One org-specific question comes to mind: Should the draft proposal be
sent on the mailing list, or privately to the potential mentor(s)
only?

--
Nikhil