[CRIU] [GSoC] Anonymise image files

Pavel Emelianov xemul at virtuozzo.com
Mon Mar 18 21:45:17 MSK 2019

On 3/17/19 10:55 PM, Nikhil Ramakrishnan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I had a look at the GSoC ideas page, and am interested in the project "Anonymise image files."
>
> I compiled CRIU and tried using CRIT to convert images to JSON. I have some questions related to this project:
>
> 1) Are bug reports usually shared over an email to the mailing list, with the JSON image as an attachment (using 'crit show')?

When we ask for images we expect them in criu native format, not decoded json. Also, note,
that this feature is not only in patching the contents of the image files. The 2nd important
part of the task is teaching criu restore accept the anonymized images and restoring the
process tree up to the "ready to resume" state.

> 2) How would the anonymisation feature be exposed to the user? Adding an '--anonymise' flag to 'crit show' is what comes to mind right now.

The exact command to do is not decided yet. I'd see it as 'crit anon -d directory/'

> 3) Path to files: Does this mean randomizing each part of the path (including upper level dir names)? Also, preserving relations would mean that two files in the same directory will have all parts of the path same except the file name, right?

Yes, the full path should become "random", but (!) human readable. I.e. smth like /etc/my_app.conf is expected
to be turned into /etc/file_1 rather than /ad324bcf098098a/f2934e123d123abd23 or alike :)

> I'd also like to introduce myself here:
>
> I'm a junior (3rd) year undergrad in Computer Science Engineering I have experience in Python, C and C++ programming. I completed GSoC in 2018 working on FreeType.
>
> I'm looking to forward to hearing back!

Welcome, Nikhil, glad to see you interested in criu! Since you're an experienced GSoC-er you know
how the org part works and introduction in this area is not required.