[CRIU] This is time to prepare a new release

Radostin Stoyanov rstoyanov1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 22:11:14 MSK 2019

On 15/03/2019 16:57, Andrei Vagin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Should it be a major or minor release?
>
> I don't see any major changes, so I am thinking to release 3.11.1. Let me
> know if you think different.
I have a few patches that aim to refactor the --remote option and
(hopefully) serve as preparation for it to be merged into the master branch.

https://github.com/rst0git/criu/tree/remote-rfc-1

The idea is to integrate image-proxy with dump/pre-dump and image-cache
with restore in order to avoid the overhead of transferring images via
Unix socket and further optimize the way they are being cached.

For now, I have dropped the concept of snapshot (a.k.a 'namespace')
which is used by image-cache to identify 'parent' images, with the
intention to replace it with a mechanism that overwrites the old memory
pages stored on the destination side, rather then keeping them in a
parent namespace.

This is a demo the current state:
https://asciinema.org/a/HGw0hiSPNhNSjoA4uZfogLrlK

I'm still working on this but would it be of interest to have this
feature in the next major release?

Thanks,
Radostin