[CRIU] Abandoned features in criu-dev

Dmitry Safonov 0x7f454c46 at gmail.com
Fri May 25 00:45:57 MSK 2018

> Hello,
>
> criu-dev contains more than 400 patches over the master branch.
>
> $ git diff origin/master..origin/criu-dev --stat criu/

> It is really too much and I don't want to spend my time rebasing this
> code, if nobody else cares of it.
>
> I suggest to create a new policy. If a feature was abandoned for more
> than three months, the question about its excluding is discussed in the
> mailing list. If it is abandoned for six months, it is excluded
> automatically. "excluded" means moving in a separate branch.
>
> What do you think about this policy? Any comments are welcome!

Yeah, it's too much of burden without any output.
Sounds good to me.

I will only suggest still keeping the work already done on features
by creating some branches/tags like abandoned-3.8 abandoned-3.9
and have on the top like a release comment "those features were
abandoned, here is the ml link:".
Because criu-dev is being rebased and if we just drop patches for
a feature, it will vaporize. And some people might become interested
again in a feature - it'll be easier to resurrect it. It's like in kernel:
they do commit removes for some abandoned features/arches, but
the code for them is still in git if someone decides to take care of it.

Thanks,
             Dmitry