[CRIU] Dumping a 32-bit process on aarch64 kernel

Dmitry Safonov 0x7f454c46 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 15:44:31 MSK 2017

> On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 12:50 PM, Dmitry Safonov <0x7f454c46 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> But it might be complicated. Not in the technical sense, but in "political".
>> Even x86 folks where not very excited about the way ia32 applications
>> are being restored (from inside a native x86_64 tasks).
>> The same will be with arm folks.
>
> If we build criu as a 32-bit ARM binary (for production we likely
> can't predetermine it's a 32-bit process, but that is the way I am
> doing it for now), then we wouldn't we be restoring a 32-bit
> checkpoint in a 32-bit process?

Well, you can try.. quite sure no one did it before you.
But for production, you'll need 32-bit support in criu.

Imagine, you have 32-bit bash that calls some helpers
like sed/awk/tail/anything. That way you'll have this
tree of:

64-bit parent

    bash (32-bit)
 sed (64)   ...

So, you might found that you anyway need 32-bit C/R
support in criu in case of such mixed-bitness trees.

--
             Dmitry