[CRIU] Dumping of stream unix connection

Anatoly Baranov valar1989 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 09:27:45 PDT 2015

> On 03/25/2015 05:00 PM, Anatoly Baranov wrote:

> xemul at parallels.com>>:
> >
> >     On 03/25/2015 01:46 PM, Анатолий Баранов wrote:
> >     > Hi all,
> >     > I found that there are troubles with dumping of stream Unix
> connection: when I'm trying to
> >     > checkpoint it, I'm receiving "Can't dump half of stream Unix
> connection" message.
> >     > I've found this thread:
> http://lists.openvz.org/pipermail/criu/2013-June/009320.html but it
> >     > didn't help.
> >     > The usage scenario is following: I'm having a parent process and a
> child processes communicating
> >     > via stream Unix socket. The idea is to dump child process when
> it's not needed and to restore it
> >     > again later,
> >
> >     But what to do with this connection upon restore?
> >
> > Sorry, but I'm afraid, I didn't understand you question. I intended to
> continue sending streamed data
> > from the point where it was dumped. Did you mean I won't be able to use
> the connection after I restore it?
>
> Well, child will be able to do it, but what about parent? Once you dumped
> the child
> and killed one parent would notice the EOF on the socket and will close
> it. So after
> restore of child there will be no "peer" to send data to.

Hi again,

I can see few hypothetical possibilities here:
1) I can try to keep the socket in parent process alive if possible. For
example, I can try to not to send EOF from the child process.
2) I can try to embed criu in parent process and build logic around it, for
example re-open parent socket when restoring child.

Do you think any of these will work?

Thanks, Anatoly.