[CRIU] [RFC] Future CRIU releases

Tycho Andersen tycho.andersen at canonical.com
Wed Dec 23 07:00:55 PST 2015

On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 04:00:03PM +0300, Pavel Emelyanov wrote:
> On 12/18/2015 08:50 PM, Tycho Andersen wrote:

> >> +1 :)

> >> Heh, we've once been thrown away from Debian due to "fast moving
> >> target, too hard to keep up". How do you chose the release dates
> >> in LXC/LXD?
> >
> > Well, nixed from debian stable :). Ubuntu still uses the CRIU debian
> > packages because we're based on unstable and the maintainer does a
> > great job uploading things quickly (thanks, if you're reading!).
> >
> > For LXD we release every two weeks, but the guy who does the packaging
> > for LXD is very on top of things and has lots of automation, so it's
> > not particularly difficult for us to release. I like this cadence a
> > lot, if it's not too much of a burden. This means that we get
> > fixes/features to users quickly.
>
> Do you always release from the master branch? Or have dev/stable ones?

Yes, always from the master branch. Since LXD is very young and not
supported (until 16.04), we can do this. Then I think we'll move to a
lxd-1.0 branch and cherry-pick relevant fixes from master to that to
release 1.1, etc. while we work on 2.0 (this is the same as lxc does
today); much like the kernel model. Having separate "dev" and "stable"
branches just confuses things IMO.

Tycho