[CRIU] [RFC] Future CRIU releases

Cyrill Gorcunov gorcunov at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 05:32:28 PST 2015

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 03:23:32PM +0300, Pavel Emelyanov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We've been playing the time-driven releases model for the past
> year and, at some sense, succeeded. However, it seems like the
> strict dates that were chosen were not 100% comfortable for all
> the parties.
>
> Also there sometimes appeared the need to have some "quite new"
> functionality early (or -- during the one week feature freeze
> period) and waiting till the next release was also not nice.
>
> So this e-mail is a call for comments -- shall we continue the
> once-a-season releases as we do now, should we slightly fix it
> (e.g. by formalizing the -stable branches) or should we change
> it completely?

I think having -stable branches which would carry only bug-fixes
(without new functionality) is a perfect choise. But general
development might be slighly relaxed in term of dates.

While we can c/r a lot of various processes we're still under relatively
hight level of new features and/or functionality to add, and once we
merge something new into main repo the qa team has to backport
the patches which not always possible. So I vote for flexible
release versioning scheme: new version comes out when a few
significant features merged (or say some code rework which
fixed bugs but can't be easily backported to -stable branch).