[CRIU] CRIU and systemd integration?

Pavel Emelyanov xemul at parallels.com
Thu Apr 16 02:07:58 PDT 2015

Hi, Adrian :) Glad to see you again!

On 04/16/2015 08:36 AM, Adrian Reber wrote:
> I am interested if there have been any steps or discussion to get criu
> (and especially process migration) integrated with systemd?

We only discussed this internally as a possible item for http://criu.org/Integration
but never get to more than that.

> Migrating processes from one system to another works, depending on the process,
> pretty good. Migrating a process under systemd's control might be
> possible by just killing the process on the source side but it cannot
> become a child process of systemd on the destination of the migration
> without systemd knowing how to restore a process and thus making it a
> child process of systemd (--restore-sibling).

Yup. Restoring a process as child of anything always implies the awareness
of the new parent and --restore-sibling.

> So my question is has something already been implemented in this
> direction? Has there been a discussion about this with the systemd
> maintainers?

"No" for both questions. But this direction looks promising. I'll add one to
the "integration" page not to forget :)