[CRIU] Standard stream is not terminal

Cyrill Gorcunov gorcunov at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 23:35:46 PDT 2014

On Mon, Sep 01, 2014 at 05:34:31PM -0400, Sanidhya Kashyap wrote:

> Currently, I keep on switching between fedora and ubuntu as the distros
> with multiple kernel versions ranging from 3.9 to 3.16.
>
> Right now, I tested my script for the simple loop program. It has worked
> and now, I will delve into different kinds of workloads like mongodb
> server, Linux kernel compile, sysbench, parsec, SPECCPU 2006, cloudsuite
> benchmark etc. for the testing purpose.
>
> My script works like this:
>
> - Checkpoint a process or multiple processes.
> - do  a reboot
> - then automatically restore the checkpointed processes at the startup
> i.e. after reboot.
>
> In order to automatically start the restore process using criu, I have
> added a script which gets executed when I reboot the system, checks
> whether it has to do the restore or not. If yes, then it restores
> everything else nothing.
>
> I know that all the kernel support for ciru is from 3.11, but still, I
> want to see whether the things are working or not with lower kernel
> versions.

OK, so you're basically do rather a widespread testing of criu (which
is great I believe please share results on http://criu.org/What_software_is_supported)
Now back to the main problem -- I fear there is no single answer, every
application you're c/r'ing need to be reviewed separately. That said
-j option to inherit tty (as Pavel said) is to be deterministic
and passed only when you know that you'll need to reuse tty. The
patch I sent seems to be rather a hack than valid solution. Thus
I propose you to update your script and create a list of applications
which do not need -j option at all so that you'll have two lists:
one to call criu with -j and second to call criu without it. At
least that's my vision. Pavel what do you think?