[CRIU] install CRIU on Andriod

Pavel Emelyanov xemul at parallels.com
Wed Apr 2 23:58:57 PDT 2014

On 04/03/2014 01:34 AM, Ma, Kai wrote:
> Hi, guys,
>

> I am trying to use cr-tools or CRIU to checkpoint some benchmarks (single thread CoreMark) on Android phone.
>
> The kernel with android source is 3.4.0. As introduced on http://criu.org/Installation, CRIU is only supported by
> Linux v3.9+. However, when I "make menuconfig", I can find most of the  kernel tag except:
> CONFIG_NETLINK_DIAG
> CONFIG_MEM_SOFT_DIRTY

I think that absence of these two are OK.

Netlink-diag is used to save state of netlink sockets, I doubt that
androind applications use one.

The soft-dirty thing is required for live-migration, which is not you
case as well, right?

> /*why General setup -> Checkpoint/restore support even exists on Android' 3.4.0 kernel? Does it mean I can get
> some ready-to-go user space tool to use this feature even on 3.4.0 kernel*/
>
> Anyway, I proceed without those two tags. I can compile the kernel and Android image successfully. After reflashing
> my phone, everything works except that I do not have cr-tools and criu CML.
>
> My question is: Is there any working version of CRIU for 3.4.0 kernel (not dependent on CONFIG_NETLINK_DIAG or
> CONFIG_MEM_SOFT_DIRTY)? Also, I do not need any of the advanced features like network connection checkpointing or
> periodic checkpoints, or  multi-thread apps or advanced data structure like protobuf,.

Well, CRIU does work w/o the soft-dirty. It also does work w/o netlink-diag,
as Fedora-19 also doesn't have one, but criu package is available (and tested)
on it. If you have any problems making criu work on it -- feel free to ask.

Thanks,
Pavel