[Users] Re: dual ethernet woes

Steve Hodges shodges at iinet.net.au
Wed Aug 15 19:47:56 EDT 2007

On 15/08/2007 11:02 AM, Steve Hodges wrote:
> On 14/08/2007 7:01 PM, Steve Hodges wrote:
>> The servers I'm trying to put onto a single hardware node each have 2
>> ethernet interfaces.
>>

> OK, after extensive testing I have narrowed down what I believe to be
> the cause of the problem.  The VE always seems to chose the first IP
> address it has been configured with as the source for new outgoing
> connections (I have no idea if it does this for existing connections,
> but I would suspect not).

After sleeping on it, reading some more, and applying my thinking cap, I
tried the following:

 ifconfig venet0:0 netmask 255.255.255.0
 ifconfig venet0:1 netmask 255.255.255.0

these default to 255.255.255.255  and in retrospect the behaviour it was
exhibiting was probably predictable.

And that appears to work with all pings to all hosts now working (I
haven't checked the routes)

The question is, can I do this automatically, or is it something to put
in my rc.local for each VE?

Steve