[Users] OpenVZ 9 and LVM RAID installations

Paulo Coghi - Coghi IT paulocoghi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 00:12:45 MSK 2022

Hello OpenVZ community,

First, I would like to congratulate Virtuozzo on the important achievement
of OpenVZ 9 / Virtuozzo 9 on kernel 5.14 (as well as the OpenVZ 8 on 4.18).

When trying to use two NVMe cards together for both OS and '/vz'
partitions, OpenVZ 9 only successfully installs and properly boots when
leaving on automatic partition mode, which creates the logical volume in
linear mode (no RAID 1,0,etc).

When trying to install with LVM on RAID 1 mode to the '/vz' partition,
the installer gives the "unable to initialize disks" error and the
installation stops.

When installing with LVM on RAID 0 mode (again on '/vz'), the installation
proceeds to the end, but the OS doesn't boot properly after a reboot,
asking to choose between "systemctl default" (which doesn't work) or
"systemctl reboot".

The hardware works fine with both OpenVZ 9 with linear logical volume, or
any other Linux with any LV type (linear, raid, etc).

But just in case, here are the specs:

- Ryzen 5950X
- 128GB DDR4 3200MHz
- 2x 3.84TB Samsung Enterprise NVMe

I look forward to proceeding with more tests that you may consider useful.

Cordially,
Paulo Coghi