[Users] Migration of VMs between openvz hosts

jjs - mainphrame jjs at mainphrame.com
Wed Dec 21 01:29:32 MSK 2022

I have 3 openvz hosts, all with slightly differing Intel x86_64 chipsets.

I've noticed that VMs created on the newest node refuse to migrate to the
others:

[root at hachi ~]# prlctl migrate pavel lindell
WARNING: You are using a deprecated CLI component that won't be installed
by default in the next major release. Please use virsh instead
Migrate the VM pavel on lindell  ()
Operation progress    100%
Operation progress ... 0%
Failed to migrate the VM: Operation failed. Failed to execute the
operation. (Details: operation failed: guest CPU doesn't match
specification: missing features:
fma,movbe,bmi1,avx2,bmi2,invpcid,mpx,rdseed,adx,smap,clflushopt,pku,arch-capabilities,xsavec,xgetbv1,pdpe1gb,abm,3dnowprefetch)
[root at hachi ~]#

But VMs created on the other nodes will migrate perfectly well to the newer
node.

Seeing that there is absolutely no CPU feature on the newest node which is
critical to any of the VMs, are there some xml files that I could modify to
set a certain "least common denominator" CPU feature set, and freely allow
migration between them all?

Jake