[Users] Libvirt correct driver for OpenVZ. Ploop and storage management

Paulo Coghi - Coghi IT paulocoghi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 09:53:22 MSK 2022

Hello OpenVZ community,

I found both OpenVZ container driver, with openvz:// (
https://libvirt.org/drvopenvz.html), and Virtuozzo driver, with vz:// (
https://libvirt.org/drvvirtuozzo.html) and I would like to ask which is the
correct libvirt driver for OpenVZ, specially versions 8 and 9.

Also, after reading some OpenVZ changelogs [1], it's mentioned that OpenVZ
can use storage pools and volumes provided by the libvirt storage
management.

[1] https://docs.openvz.org/openvz_readme.webhelp/_what_8217_s_new.html

But I would like to ask which approach is recommended by you? Is OpenVZ 8
and 9 still using ploop (which for me works excellently)? If yes, is ploop
automatically integrated with the libvirt storage management service, or we
must proceed with specific steps?

Cordially,
Paulo Coghi