[Users] Kswapd usage

George g at sturley.me
Mon Jun 7 00:35:47 MSK 2021

Hello,

For a very long time now (we're talking the past few years) I've faced
an issue with a number of my nodes where by two kswapd processes fire up
frequently (using ~200% CPU between them).
It's at those times that the overall load average shoots up (from a
normal range of 30-50 to 100+), resulting in temporary performance
degradation.

I'm currently using the latest stable kernel
(3.10.0-1160.21.1.vz7.174.13) with all available updates installed, but
have seen it on every other kernel in the past as well.

There has been some suggestion from various people that upgrading the
amount of physical RAM would be beneficial, which doesn't make a great
deal of sense to me as there's always at least 30 GB RAM available on
the nodes, and 40 GB+ in most cases.

The node specifications are as follows:

2x Intel Xeon E5-2670v2
128 GB DDR3 ECC RAM (upgradable to 256 GB if needed)
4x 2 TB Samsung 870 SSD
Hardware RAID 10 w/ BBU (WriteBack, ReadAheadNone, Direct, No Write
Cache if Bad BBU)

Output from top -c: https://i.imgur.com/C4Yo0V1.png
Output from free -m: https://i.imgur.com/utkZNFf.png

My question is: has anyone seen anything like this? Is there anything
that I should consider doing to help remedy the problem? Upgrading the
RAM is an option, but I am not entirely convinced it will be beneficial.

Many thanks.