[Users] Switching to vzkernel-3.10.0-957.10.1.vz7.85.17.x86_64.rpm

John john at interserver.net
Sun Jun 30 17:10:11 MSK 2019

I know of no one who has done an inplace upgrade. You are better off setting up a new server and copying the containers from the old system to the new system.

Since there are changes in ploop you can do vzmigrate, or something like manually create the ploop systems on the new server and manually migrate them.

I have done in place upgrades from centos3->4, 4->5 and 5->6. Never tried 6->7 with changes like systemctl and extensive kernel changes (v2->3 all the others were in in 2.x) you are looking at a difficult change when a copy is so much easier. Even with that, there were occassional issues with in place upgrades that would come up from time to time, and need good knowledge of the systems to fix them.