[Users] Difference between swap and swappages?

Kirill Kolyshkin kolyshkin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 22:51:54 MSK 2019

On Tue, 10 Dec 2019 at 11:30, Arjit Chaudhary <arjit.c at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Aha so they're the same thing, was just curious as I've been noticing a
> bit of odd behavior on OpenVZ 7 host-nodes where the node has 128G RAM,
> around 30G used and it's swapping out 12G still instead of using the RAM as
> vSwap. Swappiness is set to 10 as well.

Is it for containers or the host? You can use vzubc to check it.

In general, it's normal for some swappiness to occur even in case there's
enough free RAM, but I agree that the figure of 12G looks a bit too big.

> I'm using the following commands to build the container if that help,
>
> /usr/sbin/vzctl create $VMID --ostemplate $DISTRO
> /usr/sbin/vzctl set $VMID --ipadd $VPS_IP --save
> /usr/sbin/vzctl set $VMID --hostname vps.server.com --save
> /usr/sbin/vzctl set $VMID --nameserver 8.8.8.8 --save
> /usr/sbin/vzctl set $VMID --diskspace
> $DISK_SPACE$DISK_VARIABLE:$DISK_SPACE$DISK_VARIABLE --save
> /usr/sbin/vzctl set $VMID --ram $RAM$RAM_VARIABLE --swappages
> $SWAP$SWAP_VARIABLE --save

Again, please read the man page and use --swap not --swappages. If you're
so inclined to use --swappages, please do it in a correct manner (barrier
should be set to 0 as described).