[Users] SSD trim support over a LUKS layer

CoolCold coolthecold at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 20:10:07 MSK 2019

On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 3:53 PM Paulo Coghi - Coghi IT <paulocoghi at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Why suggest LXC when we have OpenVZ 7? LXC is far behind, it has less
> features, it's more insecure, has a network standard that is a nightmare,
> etc.

As some members of this maillist mentioned, not everyone wants to change
into specific distribution comparing to general purpose distribution. I.e.
having Debian based instalation action as application server with, for
example some containers as an addition (my case). Moving to Centos based
world brings it's own complications for some people.

> I stopped using proxmox from the exact moment it removed OpenVZ support
> and replaced it with LXC.
>
> Now a happy customer with Virtuozzo 7 (the same as OpenVZ 7) using
> multiple NVMe drives with zero issues for almost 2 years.
>
> On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 10:42 AM Narcis Garcia <informatica at actiu.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Definitely we'll not migrate to Proxmox because it's suboptimal writing
>> this in OpenDocument format from an HTML5 interface.
>>

>> El 28/4/19 a les 14:37, spameden ha escrit:
>> > No. It's impossible to use OpenVZ 6 with kernel 4.x, unless you put lots
>> > of effort to port their patches over the fresh kernel.
>> >
>> > The latest OpenVZ 6 kernel is 2.6.32-openvz-042stab136.1-amd64 and there
>> > is an issue with discard (it doesn't work).
>> >
>> > The discard issue has been fixed in 3.1-mainline kernel I think, you can
>> > look over newish RHEL kernel and try to port those changes to the old
>> > legacy OpenVZ 6 kernel.
>> >
>> > Regarding 4.x kernel:
>> > I'm using Proxmox with 4.x kernel (there is no OpenVZ) - only LXC
>> > containers and KVM - and there is no issue with discards at all.
>> > and what I also meant is: that you can easily migrate your existing
>> > OpenVZ containers to the Proxmox.
>> >
>> > Proxmox is based on latest Debian Stretch and specifically designed as a
>> > distro for contrainers.
>> > It has GUI, networking support (including openvswitch and other),
>> > KVM/LXC support and many other things (e.g. ceph/glusterfs support).
>> >
>> > Though, reading you again you've mentioned that you need a specific
>> > simfs quota in containers:
>> > most likely that would be impossible for unprivileged containers with
>> > directory storage (simfs analogue), althrough you could use qcow2 or
>> > LVM-based storage for containers.
>> >

>> > вс, 28 апр. 2019 г. в 09:47, Narcis Garcia <informatica at actiu.net
>> > <mailto:informatica at actiu.net>>:
>> >
>> >     El 27/4/19 a les 22:15, spameden ha escrit:
>> >     >
>> >     > сб, 27 апр. 2019 г. в 20:16, Narcis Garcia <informatica at actiu.net
>> >     <mailto:informatica at actiu.net>
>> >     > <mailto:informatica at actiu.net <mailto:informatica at actiu.net>>>:
>> >     >
>> >     >     I responded about OpenVZ/6 vs LXC, and Proxmox doesn't solve
>> >     the Discard
>> >     >
>> >     >
>> >     > What do you mean it doesn't solve the issue with discard? It does.
>> >     >
>> >     > Discard is perfectly working on Proxmox kernel 4.15.18-12-pve or
>> >     even on
>> >     > 4.13 kernel on DM-Crypt/LUKS setup.
>> >     >
>> >     > I'm using on all my servers DM-Crypt/LUKS + LVM so I know what I'm
>> >     > talking about.
>> >
>> >     Are you really using OpenVZ 6 with Linux kernel 4.x?
>> >     Did you see any difficult with Discard when using other context with
>> >     Linux 4.x ?

Best regards,
[COOLCOLD-RIPN]