[Users] prlctl is sensibly slower than vzctl

Solar Designer solar at openwall.com
Fri Oct 26 18:15:28 MSK 2018

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 04:33:30PM +0200, Jean Weisbuch wrote:
> On OpenVZ 7 servers, using prlctl is sensibly slower than using the
> similar command with vzctl/vzlist.

prlctl talks a complicated protocol (involving SSL and XML wrapped in
custom binary structures) to prl_disp_service.  vzctl talks to the
kernel directly.  Thus, prlctl is expected to be slower.  The question
may be how much slower is expected.  I don't know if your findings are
within expectations of the developers or not, but these findings don't
surprise me (as someone who played with prl_disp_service protocol).

Alexander