[Users] OpenVZ,, CentOS SCL and failed cron jobs?

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 19:39:38 MSK 2018

Hi Everyone,

I'm performing a post-mortem on our [failed] disaster recovery procedures.

We have an OpenVZ-based CentOS 7 VM. We use it for an open source
project website and wiki. Our backup job in /etc/cron.daily has not
been executing (nor has other cron jobs, like yum-daily.cron). We
cannot find mention of the failures in dmesg or other logs in
/var/log.

It looks like things broke sometime around December 2017 based on the
date of our last backup. (It is embarrassing, but like I said there
were no logged failures so I did not know to investigate). I don't
keep change control logs, but the best I can tell our last two major
configuration changes were:

* Migrate OpenVZ 7.1 -> 7.2, June 2016
* Enable CentOS SCL, December 2017

The SCL is Software
Collections,https://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/SCL
 . We needed it because of the ancient versions of Apache, Python and
PHP provided with CentOS 7.

My question is, is there a bad interaction or adverse relationship
with OpenVZ, SCL repos and cron?

Jeff