[Users] restore CT to a different host

jehan procaccia TEM-TSP jehan.procaccia at tem-tsp.eu
Tue Dec 4 21:19:09 MSK 2018

I found why registering my backup CT failed, in the /vz/private/MyUUID/*
there were some missing files (dot/hidden files) not beeing saved .

now that my backup script does takes all /vz/private/MyUUID/* and .*
file recursivly, moving MyUUID backup folder to a different host,
allows me to register that manually moved CT :

/# prlctl register /vz/private/MyUUID --preserve-uuid //
/

/Register the virtual environment...//
//The virtual environment has been successfully registered.//
//# prlctl start idm//
//Starting the CT...//
//The CT has been successfully started./

However in the backup process it persist a confusion , the snaphot hdd
is preserved as a reference in root.hdd/DiskDescriptor.xml

indeed , in step2 (rsync) of my  backup script :

/#VARs //
/
/ID=$(uuidgen)//
//VE_PRIVATE=$(vzlist -H -o private $CTUUID)//
/
/#step1 do a snaphost  //
/
/vzctl snapshot $CTUUID --id $ID --skip_dump/
/#step2 backups /vz/private/CTUUID//
/
/cd $VE_PRIVATE/ ;  rsync -avpH . $BACKUPPATH//
/#step 3 remove snapshot merging  snapshot to root.hdd///root.hds
/
/vzctl snapshot-delete $CTUUID --id $ID//
/

in step2, the snapshot is still there, referenced in DiskDescriptor.xml
, root.hdd directory containing
root.hdd/DiskDescriptor.xml
root.hdd/root.hds
root.hdd/root.hds.{7fb5448c-afd9-4b87-a4d8-4e5089c43ad4}

then what's the need to do a snapshot if finally  I am going to live
copy (rsync) an active snapshot file  , here root.hds.{7fb...}
isn't it breaking all the consistency of the CT to be restored later
from that live backup ?
for me it seems as if saving (rsync) live root.hdd/root.hds in the first
place whitout doing a snapshot is the same consitency pb as with live
backup of root.hds.{7fb...}

I am missunderstanding snapshots advantage for backups ?

Regards .