[Users] Good enough for KVM but not for OpenVZ 7?

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Sat Nov 11 01:52:47 MSK 2017

Greetings,

I have a Dell PowerEdge R710 rack mount server.  It is a few years old and it has an Intel Xeon E5530 @ 2.40GHz.  KVM likes it just fine and it passes a virt-host-validate with flying colors but OpenVZ 7's vmxcap says:

Unrestricted guest    no

Looking that up I find:

"VMX Unrestricted Guest is an Intel microprocessor feature that is also called IA-32e mode. Running a VM in this mode requires minimal involvement from software. You can think of it as running a VM bare-metal with its own EPT.  This feature is available only on Westmere processors and later."

I ended up installing CentOS 7 on it and KVM works fine.

What's the deal? Why this extra restriction?  :(

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street