[Users] OVZ6 boot freeze on Debian 8

StalkR stalkr at stalkr.net
Mon Jul 10 11:01:03 MSK 2017

I've been running OpenVZ legacy on Debian 6/7/8 and now 9
(hosts+containers), works fine. Note I compile my own kernels.
I recall I had a similar boot freeze in Debian 8, and fixed it by
installing sysvinit too, but I never copied the inittab and instead choose
the secondary boot menu (setting init=/lib/sysvinit/init) and since then it
worked. I upgraded to Debian 9 and still works fine (hosts+containers). Try?

And something to be aware: over time I noticed more problems with
systemd/openvz: systemd-init not cleaning zombies after a while,
systemd-tmpfiles boot lockup, systemd-logind timeouts for ssh in
containers, etc. so recently I removed systemd from a Debian 9 host (start
with this <http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Debian_Stretch>) and
so far so good, I need to do it on more hosts and try with containers too.

I'm also in the process of trying OpenVZ 7 with Debian, so far I have a
working kernel and I'm trying to get the userland tools working...